PatSnap (UK) Limited, for and on behalf of its group companies (“PatSnap”, “we”) operates www.patsnap.com. It is PatSnap’s policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating our website, running marketing events, providing whitepapers and other educational materials, and providing our products and services.
We are a UK registered company, with our registered office at Building 3 Chiswick Park, 566 Chiswick High Street, London, W4 5YA, registration number 09492371.
The data controller of your personal information is PatSnap (UK) Ltd which is registered with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office with registration number ZA283379.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
- What does PatSnap do?
- What personal information does PatSnap collect and why?
- Types of personal data we collect
- What happens to any data that we collect
- Sharing your personal data for legal and business purposes
- Legal basis for processing personal information
- Our legitimate interests
- Anonymous statistics
- Marketing communications
- International personal data transfers
- Keeping personal data up to date and data retention
- Children Under 13
- Your data protection rights
- Contact us
What does PatSnap do?
PatSnap provides its customers with access to an Intellectual Property database of more than 120 million patents, together with licensing and litigation data, economic data, patent valuations, image and chemical formula search, trademark recognition and more.
For more information about PatSnap, please see the About Us section of our Website at PatSnap: About Us.
What personal information does PatSnap collect and why?
We collect personal data directly from you:
- When you use our products and services – When you purchase or have access to our products and services, we will collect your Log-in Credentials, including your first name, last name, and email address. We may also use Log-in Credentials to let you know about any updates or changes to our products and services and/or to send you marketing communications about our products or services provided by us or our group companies.
- When you interact with us – when you fill in a form on our website or a related PatSnap online page to: (i) register for a webinar, (ii) to receive whitepapers or similar educational materials, or (iii) when you seek help with technical issues, we collect the information you include in those forms. We may also use this data to let you know about any updates or changes to our products and services and/or to send you marketing communications about our products or services provided by us or our group companies.
We also collect personal data about you from third parties:
- The organization(s) to which you belong or person(s) who have arranged your access to our products and services, e.g. your employer or the institution you are affiliated with may provide us with contact information so that we can set up your login.
- Our partners and service providers e.g. technology providers in connection with your use, and our provision of, our products and services.
- Publicly available sources like academic publications, patent offices, and regulatory agencies, e.g. if you are an academic author or researcher, a patent holder, clinical trials investigator or are otherwise an author of, or contributor to, reports, analysis, articles or other materials available in the public domain, your professional data such as your name, work contact details, and specialization may be included as content in our services.
- Other public or paid-for services, e.g. we may acquire marketing lists from third parties to identify prospects for our products and services.
Types of personal data we collect
How you interact with us and the different services that we offer determine what personal data we collect about you.
The personal data we collect may consist of the following:
- Name and contact details – first name, last name, e-mail address, postal address, and telephone number.
- User inputted content – content you provide to us when you use our services (for instance, if you contact our customer service teams or any information you choose to include about yourself in our services).
- Device related information – information about your computer or other device, such as IP address, location or provider.
- Purchase History – purchases you have made (or that which have been made for you), when your subscriptions expire and/or renew.
- Demographic information – your country and preferred language.
- Billing information – if provided, your credit card number and payment details if you make payment for the products and services this way.
What happens to data we collect?
Sharing your personal data for legal and business purposes
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients, including:
- Employees, contractors and affiliated organisations – that need to know that information in order to process it on PatSnap’s behalf. Our personnel are bound to confidentiality terms which cover their obligations to protect personal data.
- Government agencies, law enforcement, courts and other public authorities – where we have a duty to disclose your personal data by law.
- Subscribers to our services – If your personal information is collected from public sources for inclusion in or product databases and any personal data you choose to provide to us for display in our services (for example, in profiles and when using online forums), your personal data will be accessed by users of our products and services.
- Any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
Legal basis for processing personal information
Under European privacy law we need to identify a valid reason for using your personal data – known as a “lawful basis for processing”. Generally, we will process your personal data because:
- It is necessary to perform contractual obligations to you: if we have a contract with you or your employer or an entity that you are affiliated with, and who pays for you to have access to our products and services, we process your personal data to perform that contract.
- It is necessary for our legitimate interests or those of a third party – such as with your employer or entity that you are affiliated with.
- You have given us your consent: we only ask for consent in limited circumstances, for example, for certain types of marketing communications, and you will be given the option to unsubscribe from this in each communication to you.
- It is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, for example, to respond to a court order or a regulator. If we ask you to provide personal data to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal data is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal data).
If you have any questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our legitimate interests
Our legitimate interests in processing your personal data are mainly customer and product administration, provision, improvement and development of our services, protection of legal rights and marketing. More detailed information about these legitimate interests are set out below:
- Customer and product administration: to provide you with our services and information that you requested or that you access through our services, create product accounts, provide user and technical support, enforce our terms of business, report product usage information to our customers and business partners, report to or content and technology providers, contact you about renewal of your subscriptions, and other related administrative tasks.
- Product personalisation: to deliver personalised functionality in our services, for example, we may retain your browsing and usage information to make your searches within our services more relevant. We also analyse product and services usage information to understand which content and tools are most useful for our users and to allow us to deliver and suggest tailored consent, features and other products and services we believe may be of interest to you.
- Marketing: to send you marketing messages for PatSnap products and services that may interest you. We do not disclose your contact information to third parties for their marketing purposes.
- Product content: to organize and include all information in our products and services we collect data from publicly available sources. We may also use personal data which you choose to make available in our services, for example, you may wish to provide information to enable peer connection and related collaboration.
- Security: to protect the security of our IT systems, architecture and networks as well as to prevent misuse of our products and services.
- Legal rights: to exercise our rights and to the extent reasonably required, to assist third parties (such as your employees or business partners) in exercising their rights, and to defend ourselves from claims and to comply with laws and regulations that apply to our group or third parties with whom we work.
We may anonymise your personal information for the purposes of internal analyses, for example product research to help us improve our products and services. We may in turn pass the anonymised data onto third parties including but not limited to Amplitude, Inc., Gainsight, Inc., Google Analytics and Segment.io, Inc, for the purposes of improving our products and services to you.
We may send you marketing communications, including but not limited to newsletters, and emails (“the Marketing Communications”), that will include service updates, advertising and offers related to our products and services which we believe you may be interested in.
At any time, you may change your Marketing Communication preferences, either by:
- Electing to unsubscribe from the Marketing Communications sent to you by following the ‘unsubscribe’ link which can be found at the bottom of emails; or
- Contacting our team directly by emailing email@example.com or the “Contact Us” option, found either in the email we sent or on the patsnap.com website.
Aside from Marketing Communication, please note that from time to time, you may receive some important service information that we believe is critical to the use of our products and services. In these exceptional circumstances, such information will be sent to you regardless of your Marketing Communication preferences.
If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of collecting and processing your personal data information. Specific measures we use include but not limited to firewalls, anti – virus software and encrypting your personal data.
International personal data transfers
Patsnap is a global business, and your personal data may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are a resident. These countries may have different privacy and data protection laws to your country of residence.
Keeping personal data up to date and data retention
It is your responsibility to ensure that the information you submit to PatSnap is complete, accurate and up to date and it is your responsibility to notify us if that information changes.
We store your personal data throughout the period of your relationship with us and retain it for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which we collected it, including for the purposes of satisfying legal, accounting or reporting obligations or to resolve disputes. If you wish to terminate your use of the product and services with PatSnap, please email us and we will take the necessary steps to delete your personal data in accordance with your legal rights.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal data, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal data has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal data and isolate it form any further processing until deletion is possible.
Children under 13
PatSnap products and services are not directed to children under the age of thirteen (13). If a child below the age of 13 is found to be using PatSnap products and services, and personal data has been transmitted to us, PatSnap shall take the necessary steps to remove the personal data collected and terminate the PatSnap products and services provided.
Your data protection rights
The law gives you certain rights in respect of the information that we hold about you. Below is a short overview of the most commonly-used rights. It is not a complete, exhaustive statement of your rights in respect of your personal data. The website of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ico.org.uk) has a wealth of useful information in respect of your rights over your personal data.
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct update or request deletion of your personal data, you can do so at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch with PatSnap team in the European Union at email@example.com (Data Protection Representative) if you are in a European Union country.
- If you wish to receive a copy of your personal data that we are processing you can make a request to receive this by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch with PatSnap team in the European Union at email@example.com (Data Protection Representative) if you are in a European Union country.
- In addition, you can object to the processing of your personal data, ask us to restrict the processing of your personal data or request portability of your personal data. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch with PatSnap team in the European Union at email@example.com (Data Protection Representative) if you are in a European Union country.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your personal data with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal data conducted in reliance in lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to make a complaint to about our handling of your personal data with the Information Commissioner’s Office. You can contact them on 0303 123 1113.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.