PatSnap (UK) Ltd. (“PatSnap”, “we”) operates patsnap.com. It is PatSnap’s policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating our website, products and services (“Services”).
Updates to this Privacy Notice
PatSnap may change its Privacy Notice from time to time. PatSnap encourages visitors to frequently check this page for any changes to its Privacy Notice. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
We recommend that you read this Privacy Notice in full to ensure you are fully informed. However, if you only want to access a particular section of this Privacy Notice, then you can click on the relevant link below to jump to that section.
- What does PatSnap do?
- What personal information does PatSnap collect and why?
- What happens to any data that we collect
- Sharing your personal data for legal and business purposes
- Legal basis for processing personal information
- Anonymous Statistics
- Marketing Communications
- International personal data transfers
- Data Retention
- Children Under 13
- Your data protection rights
- Contact us
What does PatSnap do?
PatSnap has brought together the biggest IP dataset in the world – more than 120 million patents – and to this they have added licensing and litigation data, economic data, patent valuation, image and chemical formula search, trademark recognition and more. PatSnap then make this data accessible and relevant to all – whether expert in IP, or completely new to the world of intellectual property. PatSnap is headquartered in Singapore but with group companies are in the US, the UK and China.
For more information about PatSnap, please see the About Us section of our website.
What personal information does PatSnap collect and why?
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
Information that you provide voluntarily
Certain parts of our Website may ask you to provide personal information voluntarily: for example, we may ask you to provide your contact details in order to register an account with us, to subscribe to marketing communications from us, and/or to submit enquiries to us. The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide your personal information.
Information that we collect automatically
Like most website operators, PatSnap collects certain information from your device, including but not limited to browser type, IP addresses, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. PatSnap’s purpose in collecting such information is to better understand how PatSnap’s visitors use its Website. From time to time, PatSnap may release this information in aggregate form, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its Website.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies” below.
What happens to any data that we collect
Certain Services require PatSnap to gather personal information Certain use of the Services require you to provide additional personal information, including as necessary, the personal and financial information required to allow you to use the Service. In each case, PatSnap collects such personal information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with PatSnap. Visitors can always refuse to supply personal information, however it may prevent them from accessing certain Services.
Sharing your personal data for legal and business purposes
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to our employees, contractors and affiliated organisations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on PatSnap’s behalf or to provide the Services; and (ii) have agreed not to disclose it to others;
- to our group companies, third party services providers and partners who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help to enhance the security of our Website), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes that are described in this Privacy Notice or notified to you when we collect your personal information;
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to an actual or potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any actual or proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice;
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
Legal basis for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights, or where we have your consent to do so. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contact with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
Our legitimate interests include providing our clients with the services they request and administering our contracts, undertaking anti-fraud checks, improving our products, assisting in our legal, tax or accounting needs, and marketing our products and services.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “Contact us” heading below .
We may anonymise your personal information for the purposes of internal analyses, for example product research to help us improve our Services. We may in turn pass the anonymised data onto third parties including but not limited to Amplitude, Inc., Gainsight, Inc., Google Analytics and Segment.io, Inc , for the purposes of improving our Services to you.
From time to time you may receive from us a variety of communications, including but not limited to newsletters, emails and text messages (“the Marketing Communications”), that will include service updates, product advertising and offers related to our Services which we believe you may be interested in.
At any time, you may change your Marketing Communication preferences, either by:
- Electing to unsubscribe from the Marketing Communications sent to you by following the ‘unsubscribe’ link which can be found at the bottom of the emails
- Contacting our team directly using the ‘Contact Us’ option, found either in the email we sent or on the patsnap.com website.
Aside from Marketing Communication, please note that from time to time, you may receive some important service information that we believe is critical to the use of our Services. In these exceptional circumstances, such information will be sent to you regardless of your Marketing Communication preferences.
If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Specific measures we use include but not limited to firewalls, anti-virus software and encrypting your personal information.
International personal data transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country.
Specifically, our Website servers and key systems are located in Europe and the US, and our group companies and third party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information, we may process it in any of these countries.
However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
PatSnap will only keep your personal information for as long as it is necessary to provide you with the Services and to comply with governmental regulations. If you wish to terminate your use of the Services with PatSnap, please email us and we will take the necessary steps to delete said data in due course.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Children Under 13
PatSnap Services are not directed to children under the age of thirteen (13). If a child below the age of 13 is found to be using PatSnap Services, and personal information has been transmitted to us, PatSnap shall take the necessary steps to remove the personal information collected and terminate the PatSnap Services provided.
Your data protection rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact us” heading below.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact us” heading below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. (Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here.)
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If you have any concerns or questions with any of the terms within the Privacy Notice that you have just read, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be able to answer any questions you might have.
The data controller of your personal information is PatSnap (UK) Ltd which is registered with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office with registration number ZA283379.